Blog Archive

Thursday 17 January 2013

Opening Titles Analysis - Skyfall

I have decided to analyse some opening credits sequences in anticipation for ours, seeming as we have to add titles to our opening. I'll be going through what I like and dislike about the titles and what I can take inspiration from.



All James Bond films are notorious for their extravagant opening credits sequences, however the latest - 'Skyfall' is set to top them all. In these opening credits you can see that the whole thing is animated with seamless transitions between the different sequences, all flowing together to make a very interesting animation. Of course, we wont be using animation in our opening two minutes, but I can take inspiration from this for a later project.
The part of this sequence that I do want to analyse is the text that appears over the top of the video. The text has the effect of being tilted away from the audience, giving the impression that it's in 3D, even though it's not. This is a very neat effect, but I don't think that it is suitable for our film, seeming as it will be going over live action and wont look nearly as good. Over live action I think that it would look very cheap and would lose the high brow look that it has on James Bond. It would make it seem as if we had tried to make it look impressive with a high production value, but gone over the top, and ended up tipping the other way. Instead what I like about the font is that it is a very neat, classic style font without too much to it. If it is going over live action then I think that a more normal font would be suitable so that the audience isn't distracted by a cheap visual effect. It would give it much more of a high-brow look, which generally gains a wider audience, and is what I prefer to look at as well. I would be very put off by a font that was bright red and dripping blood as that is the sort of thing that amateurs put in films to try and make it look better, but it ends up looking worse.
Overall from these opening titles I can see that in mine I would likea very clean, suave font without too much effect added to it. I think it is alright to have the title of the film looking different and exciting, but I don't think that the font for the credits should be in this style otherwise it would look very over-the-top and the action would be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment